5/08/2013

[Homemade] Taiwanese Style minced pork with eggs



OMG, it's May already!!! OMGGG...
Time flies faster than I thought. It's already MAY.

So, as a newlywed, trying out new recipe become one of my hobby,
and as I was posting this picture last night on Facebook,

Taiwanese Style minced pork with eggs

A friend of mine left a message on my wall asking for recipe.
Right, I haven't post any recipe for a REALLY long time, and this is a really really great blog post idea. :D

Minced pork with eggs is the most common dish in Taiwan, almost every taiwanese restaurant or street market has their own minced pork sauce. However, no one knows what is in the grounded meat, rumor said they will use meat that does not look fresh or is even expired, put it in the grinder and there you go, you got yourself some good o ground meat. That is why in my family never bought ground meat of the supermarket rack. I rather took a piece of whole, fresh meat and ask the butcher (or supermarket staff) to grind it in front of my own eyes.

I got some freshly grounded pork from the market, about 2 pounds. I got a thin slice of pork belly, about .5-1 pounds. Normally I do not like to used pork belly on any of my dish, I am just very frighten of the PORK OIL and CALORIE. (This is why I am not a fan of bacon.) BUT, if this is what it takes to get a good bowl of minced pork sauce, let's do it.

Most of the ingredients here.

We also need some mushrooms, dried shrimp, shallot, garlic, and eggs. I used dried mushrooms and shrimps, as they have more aroma than the fresh one. Wash well, and soak the dried one in drinking water for about 2 hours (or until soft). Cut them into small pieces and set aside. (Note: you can save the soaking water for future use, it is full of favor and can add more taste to the dish.)




1. First, cut the pork belly into a small pieces and put those in boiling water for about a minute. Give the pork belly in icy cold bath.

2. Boil another pot of water, add eggs. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.

3. Heat up a big wok, use 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, throw in all your shredded shallots, fried until it's golden brown and crispy. (Or you can skip this step and buy Crispy Shallot from any Chinese supermarket.)

4. Take out the shallots, put aside.

5. Use 1 tbsp of oil, add garlic, stir fry until golden brown (it will be less than 1 minute), add grounded pork, stir gently until the pork turns slightly brown.

6. Take the pork belly out from the ice water, and add into the ground pork. Fried with high heat. Add about a tbsp dark soy sauce to color the meat.

7. You can add all other ingredients: mushrooms, dried shrimps, stir fry well.

8. Add a cup of water (or the dried mushroom/ shrimp soak water.), a cup of taiwanese rice wine, soy sauce paste, rock sugar, chinese star anise & crispy shallots. You can also add hard-boiled eggs at this time. Bring to boil and simmer for about an hour.

TADA! You got yourself a pot of delicious minced pork rice that can feed at least 4 people. I usually make more, and store it in freezer so whenever I am craving for minced pork, I can just microwave it and throw it on top of rice or noodle :)

My lunch, yummm...

No comments: